Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm baaaack ...

Where have I been you ask? Why I have been in New York all week and pretty much I didn't tell anyone. Because I'm cool like that and it's kind of fun to disappear suddenly for a little while. This will be a super long post of my days in Manhattan including pictures. Okay, GO.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

At last we have landed in Newark, Jersey and made it to Manhattan, New York, where the Batman is close by. No sign of him yet, but we DID just get here. He has all week to show himself.
Getting all the way here was quite the adventure. In fact, it was just a big ridiculous hassle. On our way to Toronto from home, the windshield of our plane somehow managed to crack and we had to turn around. We ended up landing elsewhere, where it took two-ish hours to transfer everyone on that plane to a new flight. Finally when we landed in Toronto and they switched our tickets to Newark because we ended up missing ours because of the delay, we found that our luggage was missing. We had an hour before our flight and we couldn't get through customs without our baggage checked. So we waited because that's all they told us to do when we asked about it. Ten minutes before our flight departed our baggage was finally found. But there was still customs, which can take about 45 minutes. We waied in line for ten minutes, then a flight attendant came looking for us. He brought us to the front of the line (pissing off so many people who apparently didn't realize what it means if you are still in customs line when your scheduled departure time was five minutes ago). By the time we boarded, it should have left twenty minutes ago. It ended up leaving have an hour later than it was supposed to. Sigh ... I've heard stories about our airline sucking, but I haven't had anything terrible happen until now.
When we landed in Jersey, a limo driver offered to take us to Manhattan where ourpad is REALLY nice and I felt better. Also, of course, our first meal in the States had to be ... McDonald's.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

After breakfast this morning we took the underground subway, which became very crowded, to Times Square. We wandered around for a bit, trying to avoid eye contact with the people trying to sell us stuff, then we went into a Ripley's Believe it or Not! museum. It was pretty cool, but a lot of stuff in there seemed to be malfunctioning ... they definitely should have maintained it better. But the part that I found the coolest actually seemed to work just fine, and it was the primitive torture device section. I had a lot of fun in that little bit. Then we also had to take our time at the part called the Black Hole Spacey Hallways or someting like that. You know theo ne where you walk on a bridge and there's black light and the walls spin around you and it's hard to walk thought leaning to one side? Yeah, those are AWESOME.
Then I bought some gorgeous eyelashes from Sephora (which I swear there are at least eleven of in Manhattan), then delicious lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. Then we explored and went on a touristy bus tour around the city. We saw the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, and almost a billion neat looking shops which I must remember to visit.
Then tonight was Wicked!! On Broadway of course. It was fantastic! I LOVED it. I was excited when I noticed that we got the Glinda understudy because in my experiences, the understudy tends to do a much better job than the main. She was exactly like Glinda should be. The costumes in Munchkinland were my favourite though. A lot of detail and they looked really good.
After the show we went to M&M World and checked out the three storeys of delicious goodness. We found some awesome M&M's with PRETZELS in them. I've never seen those in Canada... so we got some of course.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Alright, now I have to try and remember what we did today. Now is the part of summer holidays where all the days are blended into one day and you can't remember what day of the week it is, much less the date. So here goes nothing.
Today we went shopping mostly. I am not used to New York shopping ... it is always extremely busy, and when there ARE fitting rooms they are always full, usually with a line-up. So your best bet is to just guess your size and exchange it or refund it if needed. Luckily, as it turns out, I am a good guesser and I odn't need to return anything that I got today. I got a good striped long sleeved tee that will be good for wearing underneat stuff, a frillly-ish dress, a pretty vintage skirt, some gloves, and nifty tights! OOH and SUCH CUTE SHOES! All for under $100. Oh yeah, that's another thing. Everything is so cheap here, it's ridiculous! I love it!
After shopping we ate at a place called Jon's Pizzeria, where the service was pretty bad but the food was deeeelicious.
Then we went up the Empire State Building which was pretty cool but way less interesting than it sounds. Although it was getting late and it was very neat to see the sun go down and the lights slowly turn on in the city beneath us. Then I ate delicious chicken wings and doughnuts in the restaurant beneath the Empire State, Heartland Brewery. A good end to a very good day :)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The first thing we did today was pick up our tickets for the Lion King. Then we had a bit of time to wander around before the matinee began, so I went and got a gift for my love chunk. I got him a cute little Luigi stuffed doll type thing. Maybe it's a stupid thing to get a full grown man but whatever. He always plas as Luigi when we play Super Smash Bros so he'll hopefully just think it's funny like I did.
Anyway, next was the Lion King, which would have been great except they did the most crazy cool stuff first which got me super excited for the rest of it which consequenstly seemed seriously lacking. But I will say this: Rafiki was fantastic and had a phenomenal voice. And the choral bits were beautiful. I just wish they would have saved the best for last, so I would leave with more positive thoughts.
Afterwards we walked around and did some more shopping. I bought a dress for $5! I love how cheap clothes in New York are :) Of course ... we have yet to visit a Haloween store ... and that is where most of my New York money will probably be spent.

Tonight we went on another sightseeing touristy bus around downtown Manhattan/Brooklyn to look at the city lights.
Anyway, tomorrow we apparently have to wake up early to go to some boat ride to Lady Liberty or something. So I'ma go to bed.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Today we woke up at 6:00 so we could make it to the ferry to the Statue of Liberty before the whole crowd comes and what not because apparently the line-up to see it fills up the entire Battery Park pretty quickly. So we got there by 9:00 and there was no line at all at that time of day as it turns out so we got our tickets and everything and boarded the boat less than an hour later (there are metal detectors and bag checks everywhere). Shortly after we landed on the island it started pouring like CRAZY. Even if we HAD and umbrella it would have been useless because the wind would have flipped it inside out in to and a half seconds. So we got whatever pictures we wated as fast as we could and headed back on the boat and went to Ellis Island which I thought was much mor interesting. Mom wanted to watch the little half hour movie about the immigrants to America but the intersting thing for me was the museum, especially the old hospital beds from way back in the day. Because they're creepy :)
Alrighty, back in Manhattan we did a bit of walking/shopping, we returned a shirt that Emilee bought that didn't fit her, and we went to Ground Zero, which was just staring at a bunch of construction and was not interesting to any of us in the least. Then since we were all very wet and cold from the rain we went back to the apartment to change. We took the subway there and when we got out it was pouring like crazy and I basically looked like I had just gotten out of the shower by the time we made it to the apartment which was less than a block away. Crazy weather I tell you.
After we had changed and ate lunch and the rain had cleared up, we went back out for some more shopping/walking, then caught ANOTHER little sightseeing touristy bus to look around uptown Manhattan to look at where famour people Bono and John Lennon live/d. I loved looking at the pretty buildings.
I'll finish later, I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment